How We Can Save Water: 5 Tips from Boyish Founder

LA-based designer Jordan Nodarse is highly regarded as a denim and sustainability expert, having previously started US etailer Revolve's denim line Girlfriend in 2015, and becoming director of denim at sustainable womenswear brand Reformation in 2017.

Jordan and Boyish Jeans are pioneers when it comes to reducing water usage, as the denim brand uses 30% LESS WATER than any standard denim brand.

How do they do this, you ask?

Through using “Tonello machines” that are unique all in one systems that utilise vapour water spray.

Boyish Jeans also recycle 40% of its total water usage. The other 60% is treated and tested by the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals, making sure that their wastewater is free of hazardous chemicals and clean for the environment.

In homage to World Water Day, we sat down with Jordan to find out more about the work they do at Boyish Jeans to reduce their water usage, and how we can save water at home.

Why was it so important for you to decrease the water usage in the denim production process? 

Water is a precious commodity. We cannot keep abusing and wasting it. There are many people in the world who do not even have clean drinking water. Conventional jeans use up to 7000 liters of water for just one jean. That's insane considering that there are many new advancements in machinery and alternative fibers to use that reduce this number significantly.

What makes Boyish different to other sustainable denim brands?

The way we view circularity. It's not just with our products but also with the way we manage our business. We are the only carbon neutral denim brand in the USA as well as the only denim brand who is a 1% for the Planet member donating 1% of our revenue to charitable organizations like FOLAR who help clean the LA river. 

We believe that you are an expert when it comes to consciousness around water usage. Could you give our readers five tips on how to save water in their everyday life?

Finding ways to use less water in everyday life is important. I’d say buying renewable products like recycled or unbleached toilet paper is a big one, use a cup of water when brushing your teeth versus the water running, shorter showers, installing a drinking water filter to be able to use tap water versus buying bottled single use water, and of course purchasing clothing that uses recycled materials, cellulosic materials like Tencel™, Lyocell, and/or a blend of both.

What other brands do you trust when it comes to being conscious when it comes to water usage?

Reformation does a great job, the best if I might say so!


Boyish Jeans World Water Day

March 22, 2020 — Ana Carnu